Israel hits Beirut again in second day of strikes
Asia
By
AFP
| Sep 24, 2024
A Lebanese security source said an Israeli strike hit Hezbollah's south Beirut stronghold Tuesday, with the Israeli army also saying it had carried out a strike, a day after hitting the same area.
"An Israeli strike targeted two floors in a residential building in the Ghobeiri area," the security source said, requesting anonymity as he was not authorised to discuss sensitive matters.
The Israeli military said it had struck the Lebanese capital but did not immediately give further details.
"The IDF (military) conducted a targeted strike in Beirut. Details to follow," it said.
READ MORE
TSC Amendment Bill, 2024: What MPs want
Faith Odhiambo: Two years of bold leadership at LSK
Junior Starlets players dominate Kenya U20 team
Why Coast traders want Senate to throw out Tobacco Bill
Orphan who benefited from Ebenezer scholarship excels in KCSE
Kenya's 'night runner': How a rural ritual with links to witchcraft became an urban staple
State faces new IMF test as loan talks resume
Why Omtatah wants court to block Sh2.8tr railway works
Making agriculture 'cool' again: How to win the youth back into big farming
Alarming clause in Religious Organisations Bill threatens our democracy
An AFP photographer at the site of the strike said the strike had destroyed two floors of a building located in a densely packed residential area, also damaging nearby cars.
On Monday, Israel said it had launched a "targeted strike" on Beirut.
Hezbollah said Ali Karake, its third-in-command, was alive and had moved to safety after a source close to the group told AFP the strike had targeted him.
Hezbollah and its arch-foe Israel have been exchanging near-daily cross-border fire since the Gaza war erupted last October.
But on Monday, Israel launched devastating strikes across Lebanon's south and east, killing more than 550 people according to the Lebanese health ministry -- the deadliest single-day toll since Hezbollah and Israel went to war in 2006.
The attacks came after coordinated communications devices explosions that killed 39 people and wounded thousands on Tuesday and Wednesday last week.
Those were followed by a deadly strike on Friday in south Beirut, with leading Hezbollah commander Ibrahim Aqil among the dead.