Nobel winner Yunus says ready to head Bangladesh 'interim government'

Asia
By AFP | Aug 07, 2024

Bangladeshi Nobel Peace Prize winner and microcredit pioneer Muhammad Yunus gestures as he delivers a lecture at Italy's Chamber of Deputies on July 10, 2014. [AFP]

Nobel winner Muhammad Yunus said on Tuesday he was ready to head an interim government in Bangladesh after mass demonstrations forced longtime ruler Sheikh Hasina to flee the country.

"I am honoured by the trust of the protesters who wish for me to lead the interim government," he said in a written statement to AFP.

"If action is needed in Bangladesh, for my country and for the courage of my people, then I will take it," the 84-year-old Nobel-winning microfinance pioneer said, also calling for "free elections."

"The interim government is only the beginning," he said.

"Lasting peace will only come with free elections. Without elections, there will be no change."

Yunus, known as the "banker to the poorest of the poor", was awarded the Peace Prize in 2006 for his work loaning small cash sums to rural women, allowing them to invest in farm tools or business equipment and boost their earnings.

Earlier Tuesday, student leaders in Bangladesh demanded that Yunus lead a caretaker government, a day after the military took control as demonstrations forced Hasina to flee the country.

Hasina, 76, had been in power since 2009 but was accused of rigging elections in January and then watched millions of people take to the streets over the past month demanding she quit.

Hundreds of people were killed as security forces sought to quell the unrest but the protests grew and Hasina finally fled aboard a helicopter on Monday after the military turned against her.

"Youth have voiced their need for change in our country," Yunus said.

"The Prime Minister heard them by leaving the country. This was a very important first step taken yesterday.

"The courage of this youth is boundless," he added.

"They have made Bangladesh proud and shown the world our nation's determination against injustice."

Speaking separately to French daily Le Figaro earlier, Yunus said he wanted to stay "out of politics", but could lead the government if circumstances "require it".

Share this story
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS