US judge rejects Trump's bid to unseat him in hush money case

America
By AFP | Aug 15, 2024
Former US President and Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump gestures as he speaks during a campaign rally at Harrah's Cherokee Center in Asheville, North Carolina, August 14, 2024. [AFP]

Donald Trump failed for a third time on Wednesday to force out the judge who is due to sentence him for covering up hush money payments.

Lawyers for the Republican presidential nominee had again argued that the work of Judge Juan Merchan's daughter for a Democrat-leaning organization created a "perceived conflict of interest" and that he should recuse himself.

A jury convicted the former president of 34 felonies in May for covering up payments to silence former adult star Stormy Daniels over an alleged affair.

On September 16, the judge will consider a separate request by Trump's lawyers to overturn the verdict and dismiss the case following a Supreme Court ruling in July on presidential immunity.

Depending on the outcome of that hearing, Merchan has scheduled Trump's sentencing for September 18.

Merchan forcefully rejected Trump's latest bid to have him removed.

"Stated plainly, Defendant's arguments are nothing more than a repetition of stale and unsubstantiated claims," Merchan wrote in the ruling.

"Defense Counsel's reliance, and apparent citation to his own prior affirmation, rife with inaccuracies and unsubstantiated claims, is unavailing. As such, Defendant's motion is again DENIED."

A New York State ethics panel previously found no issue in Merchan continuing to handle the case, and the judge said the "Court will continue to base its rulings on the evidence and the law, without fear or favor, casting aside undue influence."

Despite the ethics ruling, Trump's legal team insisted that work undertaken by Merchan's daughter, which they said included past fundraising efforts for Trump's rival, Vice President Kamala Harris, undermined the judge's independence.

In a tirade on his Truth Social platform, Trump called an order by Merchan limiting his ability to attack the judge's family members "suppression and manipulation of the vote."

Trump, the first former US president convicted of a crime, has been doing everything in his power to delay multiple trials against him until after the November election.

He faces charges in Washington and Georgia related to efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 election he lost to Democrat Joe Biden.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS