Algeria presidential candidates appeal election result

Africa
By AFP | Sep 11, 2024

Supporters of Algeria's President Abdelmajid Tebboune celebrate his reelection victory outside a campaign headquarters in Algiers on September 8, 2024. [AFP]

Algeria's presidential candidates who lost out to incumbent Abdelmadjid Tebboune in Algeria's presidential election filed appeals to the Constitutional Court Tuesday, contesting the provisional result of the vote.

Abdelaali Hassani, who heads the moderate Islamist party the Movement of Society for Peace, was first to submit his appeal.

He said the day before he had "lost the battle but not the war" and denounced the results as a "fraud".

Youcef Aouchiche, head of the centre-left Socialist Forces Front (FFS), later followed suit, accusing the electoral authority ANIE of "forging" the September 7 election's result.

On Sunday, ANIE announced that Tebboune had won "94.65 per cent of the vote", with Hassani receiving 3.17 per cent and Aouchiche 2.16 per cent.

Tebboune, 78, had been widely expected to breeze through the election and was focused instead on securing a high turnout.

He was elected in December 2019 with 58 per cent of the vote, despite a record abstention rate above 60 per cent, amid the mass Hirak pro-democracy protests.

More than 24 million Algerians were registered to vote in this election, but ANIE did not say how many people turned out.

Instead, it announced a "provisional average turnout" rate of 48 per cent, which Hassani and Aouchiche have disputed.

Hassani earlier denounced what he called "false figures" on voter turnout and demanded that the authorities put an end to the "masquerade".

Aouchiche on Tuesday also said the results "did not reflect the votes of Algerians".

The Constitutional Court is set to announce the final results within 10 days of receiving the count from Algeria's 58 provinces.

On Monday, it said it had yet to receive all of them.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS