Outrage in Tanzania over viral gang rape video

Africa
By AFP | Aug 07, 2024

Tanzanian police said Tuesday they have launched an investigation following a viral video of an alleged gang rape. [AFP]

Tanzanian police said Tuesday they have launched an investigation following a viral video of an alleged gang rape that has ignited outrage in the East African country, with local media reporting arrests had been made.

Clips of the alleged assault of a young woman by several men began circulating online on Sunday and local rights groups have urged the authorities to take action.

"Our investigations are progressing well," a police statement said, without making any mention of arrests.

"Detailed information about the incident will be issued once we have completed the legal procedures," it said, urging "the public to remain calm".

The police also asked the public to consider how they posted online, "so that we avoid torturing the victim and her family".

Local media reported that Home Affairs Minister Hamad Masauni said suspects were "already" under arrest, but did not provide more details.

The incident first came to light when Boniface Jacob, the former mayor of Ubungo, a district of the commercial capital Dar es Salaam, posted about it on X on August 4, tagging President Samia Suluhu Hassan and the national police force.

He said the gang rape took place in another Dar es Salaam district and that the assailants were believed to be members of the Tanzanian armed forces, but this could not be verified.

The Tanganyika Law Society condemned what it said was a "gross violation of both the country's laws and societal norms".

Msichana Initiative, an organisation which advocates for the rights of girls in Tanzania, also urged police to take action over what it described as "brutal acts".

"We also strongly condemn the continued circulation of the videos which continue to humiliate the girl," it added.

The Legal and Human Rights Centre urged the Tanzanian leader to publicly condemn the assault.

"Ignoring these issues will only lead to their increased occurrence in our society under the disguise of people abusing their positions to harm and humiliate others," it said.

In 2019 a number of men were arrested in the northeast of the country following a string of gang rapes, local media reported.

Share this story
It's fresh faces and familiar rivals as Stars prepare for 2027 Afcon
Coach McCarthy has named five new faces in Harambee Stars squad.Kenya to face South Africa, Guinea and Eritrea in 2027 Afcon qualifiers.,
SportPesa Premier League: APS Bomet edge Bandari to ease relegation fears
The win eased off relegation fears APS Bomet have been battling for the better part of their debut season in the Premier League.
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS