UN warns of disease threat in flood-hit Libyan city
Africa
By
VOA
| Sep 19, 2023
United Nations agencies warned Monday that Libya's flood-stricken city of Derna, where thousands were killed a week ago, faces the threat of disease outbreaks that could bring "a second devastating crisis."
The massive flash flood that has killed over 3,000 people and left thousands more missing came as the war-scarred North African country was lashed by the hurricane-strength Storm Daniel on September 10.
Traumatized residents, 30,000 of whom are now homeless, badly need clean water, food and basic supplies amid a growing risk of cholera, diarrhea, dehydration and malnutrition, U.N. agencies warn.
"Teams from nine U.N. agencies have been on the ground delivering aid and support to those affected by Storm Daniel and the flash flooding for the last few days," said the U.N. Support Mission in Libya.
But it warned that local officials, aid agencies and the U.N. World Health Organization "are concerned about the risk of disease outbreak, particularly from contaminated water and the lack of sanitation".
READ MORE
US sanctions DR Congo ex-leader Kabila over rebel ties
UN helps return hundreds of DR Congo refugees from Burundi
DR Congo, M23 armed group agree to ease aid, free prisoners
Government plans stricter laws to clean up tea sector
Violence against journalists in DR Congo rising, says RSF
Tea farmers against some clauses in the tea amendment bill
Ruto strips agriculture body of coffee role in sector shake-up
French aid worker killed in DR Congo air strike
Rwanda hits back at US sanctions over M23 support in DR Congo
US slaps sanctions on Rwanda military over DR Congo 'violation'
38,640 people displaced in Libya floods as water contamination, power outages disrupt daily life
"The team continues to work to prevent diseases from taking hold and causing a second devastating crisis in the area," UNSMIL said in a statement.
Rapidly rising waters burst two upstream river dams in Derna, sending a late-night tidal wave crashing through the center of the coastal city of 100,000 that swept entire residential blocks into the Mediterranean.
U.N. teams also including the children's relief fund UNICEF, refugee agency UNHCR and World Food Program have been in and around Derna for the past few days to help the survivors.
UNICEF teams have delivered "medical kits to primary care services to support 15,000 people for three months" while the UNHCR distributed supplies including blankets, tarpaulins and kitchen equipment to 6,200 displaced families in Derna and Benghazi, said UNSMIL.
"So far food rations have been distributed to over 5,000 households through the World Food Program, and 28 tons of medical supplies have been shipped by charter flight from the World Health Organization, which has also donated ambulances and medical kits."
Last week, the United Nations launched an aid appeal for more than $71 million for the emergency response in Derna and other parts of eastern Libya.