South Africa to withdraw troops from UN mission in DR Congo

Africa
By AFP | Feb 08, 2026
23 soldiers patrol near the scene of a landslide at an open pit coltan mine in Rubaya on January 30, 2026. [AFP]]

South Africa will withdraw its 700 troops deployed under the United Nations' peacekeeping mission in the conflict-plagued Democratic Republic of Congo, the presidency said Saturday.

Pretoria last year repatriated hundreds of troops deployed under another military mission from the Southern African Development Community (SADC) after 17 of its soldiers were killed in escalating conflict between government forces and the Rwanda-backed M23 armed group.

President Cyril Ramaphosa informed the UN's secretary-general Antonio Guterres of the South African government's decision to "withdraw its contribution of soldiers", the presidency said in a statement late Saturday.

They were withdrawing their soldiers from the United Nations Organisation Stabilisation Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (MONUSCO), the statement added.

The decision was influenced by the need to "consolidate and realign the resources of the South African National Defence Force" after 27 years supporting UN peacekeeping efforts in DRC, it said.

The withdrawal of South African forces -- among the top 10 troop contributors to MONUSCO -- would be finalised before the end of the year.

The conflict in eastern DRC escalated in early 2025 as the M23 seized large swathes of territory and key cities.

There were mounting calls in January 2025 for Pretoria to pull out of the resource-rich region after several of its soldiers were killed, including at least two deployed under the UN.

In another escalation, the M23 on Wednesday claimed responsibility for a drone attack on a key airport in Kisangani, several hundred kilometres from the armed group's usual area of operations.

The United Nations has said it would soon send a mission to the volatile region to help enforce a ceasefire.

Qatar has been mediating between the Congolese government and the M23 for several months, and a commitment towards a ceasefire was signed in July.

In a parallel effort, the DRC and Rwanda formalised a US-brokered peace deal in December in Washington.

In its statement Saturday, South Africa said it would continue supporting other "multilateral efforts" by the SADC, the UN and the African Union to bring "lasting peace" to the DRC. 

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS