Bobi Wine says wife in hospital after assault by soldiers

Africa
By AFP | Jan 24, 2026
Uganda opposition leader and National Unity Platform (NUP) leader Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu, popularly known as Bobi Wine, speaks at a press conference at his house in Kampala on January 15, 2026. [AFP]

Fugitive Ugandan opposition figure  Bobi Wine said on Saturday that his wife was rushed to hospital after soldiers held her at gunpoint and strangled her during a violent raid on their home.

Wine went into hiding after a January 15 election in which President Yoweri Museveni, 81, was re-elected for a seventh term -- a result the opposition leader denounced as "blatant theft".

His lawyer urged the UN and the international community to seek guarantees for his safety after deadly threats following elections marred by repression and an internet blackout.

Wine said in a post on X on Saturday that "hundreds of soldiers" raided his home in his absence, looting it and assaulting his wife.

"They put my wife on gunpoint, asking her to reveal my whereabouts," he wrote. "They strangled her and insulted her."

"My wife was rushed to hospital where she remains admitted -- dealing with all the physical and psychological trauma."

Museveni won 71.65 percent of the vote, compared with 24.72 percent for Wine, born Robert Kyagulanyi, a 43yearold former ragga singer turned politician.

Observers and NGOs criticised the results, pointing to an internet shutdown lasting days and the repression of the opposition.

Museveni's son and army chief, Muhoozi Kainerugaba, threatened on X to hunt down and kill Wine, in a post that has since been deleted.

"In light of these reckless statements, we urgently call on the international community, including the United Nations, to demand immediate, verifiable guarantees of Mr. Wine's safety and ensure he can return to his family without harm," said Robert Amsterdam, one of Wine's lawyers.

"Mr. Wine has committed no crime. His only offence is exposing, once again, the brutal and dictatorial nature of President Museveni's rule, through peaceful political opposition and the exercise of fundamental rights," Amsterdam added.

Army chief Kainerugaba boasted on Friday on X that "so far we have killed 30 NUP terrorists", referring to Wine's party, the National Unity Platform.

"We have arrested over 2,000 hooligans that Kabobi thought he would use," Kainerugaba added, using his nickname for Wine.

The European Union has expressed concern, saying: "We regret pre- and post-electoral violence and threats, particularly against opposition leader Robert Kyagulanyi."

United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said he was "following with concern the post-election situation in Uganda, including reports of arrests, detentions and violent incidents involving opposition figures and supporters".

Share this story
Veteran goalkeeper Neuer recalled to aid Germany World Cup bid
Veteran goalkeeper Manuel Neuer was handed a surprise recall to Germany's 26-man World Cup squad, coming out of international retirement to play in the tournament for a fifth time.
Emery urges Villa to use Europa triumph to fuel bold new era
Unai Emery urged Aston Villa to use their historic Europa League final triumph against Freiburg as the foundation for an "ambitious" new era.
DR Congo cancel World Cup training in Kinshasa amid Ebola outbreak
The Democratic Republic of Congo team have cancelled a planned pre-World Cup training camp at home after the country was hit by an Ebola outbreak
For Arsenal, the time is right and the Lord has made it happen
When Patrick Paul Vieira lifted Arsenal’s English Premier League trophy in 2004, petrol in Kenya was retailing at Sh64.99, Diesel was Sh51.60, while kerosene went for Sh38.19.
Julius Yego's exit beckons after his last African show in Ghana
The 37-year-old javelin star is set for his last World Championships and Olympics next year and 2028 respectively.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS