Meta suspends Tanzania activists for showing election killings

Africa
By AFP | Dec 04, 2025
Tanzanian activist Maria Sarungi.

Meta suspended the Instagram accounts of two Tanzanian activists on Thursday after they posted images of the violent crackdown by security forces on election protests, which authorities have tried to suppress.

Tanzania descended into violence on October 29, the day of elections deemed fraudulent by international observers.

More than 1,000 people were shot dead by security forces over several days of unrest, according to the opposition and rights groups, though the government has yet to give a final toll.

Mange Kimambi, who has more than 2.5 million Instagram followers, had been posting hundreds of photos of the dead and wounded since early November, sent to her by Tanzanians via WhatsApp, she told AFP last month from the United States.

Not all the images have been verified, but AFP fact checkers and other media and investigative sites have found that many are real.

On Thursday, Kimambi, in a letter to US President Donald Trump published on X, complained that her Instagram accounts and WhatsApp number had been "deactivated after I raised awareness about a series of severe abuses and horrific events occurring in Tanzania", including "kidnappings, killings and imprisonment of opposition leaders on fabricated treason charges".

Another prominent Tanzanian activist, Maria Sarungi Tsehai, who lives in exile, also had her Instagram account suspended, though only within Tanzania.

"Check out @Meta @instagram and their role in enabling the cover-up of #TanzaniaMassacre by restricting and deleting our Instagram and Whatsapp accounts," Tsehai posted on X.

"This is a direct attack on human rights defenders! We work to save lives by whistleblowing about abductions, corruption and killings," she added.

Contacted by AFP, a spokesperson for Meta justified the action against Kimambi in the name of its "policy against recidivism", implying she had created new accounts after others were suspended.

The action against Tsehai was a response to "a legal order from Tanzanian regulators", the spokesperson said.

"If we are unable to provide our services there, millions of people will be deprived of connecting with family and friends," Meta added.

In early November, Tanzania's attorney general, Hamza Johari, called for Kimambi to be arrested and threatened to try to have her extradited from the United States, where she lives.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS