What you should know about Agnes Tirop
By Amos Mabinda
| October 13th 2021
On Wednesday, October 13, news broke that the holder of women’s 10km world record, Agnes Jebet Tirop, had been killed.
Tirop succumbed to stab injuries at her home in Iten, Elgeyo Marakwet County.
It is suspected her ex-lover killed her.
The athlete’s father reported her missing two days ago.
President Uhuru Kenyatta led Kenyans in mourning the 25-year-old.
“It is painful that Agnes, a Kenyan hero by all measures, painfully lost her young life through a criminal act perpetuated by selfish and cowardly people,” said the Head of State.
“I urge our law enforcement agencies led by the National Police Service to track down and apprehend the criminals responsible for the killing of Agnes so that they can face the full force of the law,” he added.
· September 2021: Won 10km women race (WR 30:01) – Road to Records, Herzogenaurach, Germany. She set a world record that had stood since 2002.
· July 2021: Finalist Olympic Games, Tokyo Japan (Position Four).
· 2019: Bronze Medalist, 10000m IAAF World Championships in Athletics, Khalifa Doha, Qatar.
· 2017: Bronze Medalist, 10,000m IAAF World Championships in Athletics, London Great Britain.
· 2015: Won senior Women’s race Guiyang IAAF World Cross Country Championships, China.
· 2013: U20 Race IAAF World Cross Country Championships, Myslecinek Park, Bydgoszcz, Poland.
President Uhuru directs police to investigate, arrest Agnes Tirop’s killerThe President mourned Agnes as a Kenyan hero and champion whose death is a big blow to the country's sporting ambitions and profile.
Bayern Munich's Lucas Hernandez now faces prison timeThe 32nd Criminal Court in Madrid, Spain, has ordered the imprisonment of Bayern Munich defender Lucas Hernandez, according to Spanish publication AS.
Man who walked 230km to attend Mashujaa celebrations left stranded at hotel
- Kiraitu Murungi party to endorse Governor Muriithi as Raila deputy
- You will pay Sh5,000 for not using city footbridges
- Uhuru, Ruto in a show of comradeship at Mashujaa Day Celebration
- The two women in Ndichu twins altercation speak out
- 10-year boy fighting for life, two women arrested after an attempted exorcism