CS Chirchir says an overload in the Kisumu - Muhoroni line caused Sunday nationwide blackout
National
By
Mate Tongola
| Dec 11, 2023
Sunday's nationwide power outage was caused by an overload in the Kisumu - Muhoroni power line.
According to Energy Cabinet Secretary Davis Chirchir, the Kisumu - Muhoroni line was planned to carry 80MW but was carrying 149MW.
Addressing the press on Monday, December 11, Chichir said that the government will be setting up a new substation and a line of 90km that will relieve the capacity on the Muhoroni - Kisumu line.
"We will build a new 33KV line between Narok and Bomet to prevent constant power outages. We will have reduced overload line to prevent plunging the country into darkness which is not right," he said.
READ MORE
France says G7 finance talks 'frank, sometimes difficult'
Africa banks on continental trade agreement to rev up investments
How 300 containers were stolen from Mombasa port
800 youth benefit from 'Glam on Wheels' Initiative
Flower industry loses Sh200m as transport strike hits JKIA cargo
Families feel the pinch as war-hit diaspora remittances shrink
Legal battle brews over new tea levy, directorship
For Africa to move forward, Africans must be allowed to cross borders
Global housing crisis deepens despite policy gains - UN warns
The CS stated that his Ministry has not invested much in the networks and that there are plans to give out a number of networks to be built by private firms. This will ease putting pressure.
"Kenya has not had any major electricity system upgrades for the past 6 years and the new line will take 20 months to complete. It will be funded by the African Development Bank and Japan," the CS added.
Chirchir was among passengers who remained stranded at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) on Sunday night.
"I was flying in from Dubai, I was at the airport when the electricity went off. I experienced firsthand the anger because as passengers, we could not obtain our bags. The luggage belt was not moving. It is such a shame and we need to address it," he said.
Earlier on Monday, Transport CS Murkomen called on police to investigate possible sabotage after a generator failure at JKIA last night.