Mombasa floods: Gachagua accuses Nassir of 'sitting and waiting for help'
Coast
By
Joackim Bwana
| Nov 22, 2023
The national government has disbursed Sh10 billion to counties hard-hit by El Nino rains and floods, according to Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua.
Mr Gachagua advised the affected counties to postpone their development plans and redirect funds to address the effects of the floods.
The DP however accused Mombasa Governor Abdulswamad Nassir of "folding his arms waiting for help from Nairobi".
Gachagua also said Mombasa "has the worst drainage system which worsened the floods after heavy rains".
READ MORE
Families feel the pinch as war-hit diaspora remittances shrink
Mbadi names Adan Mohamed as new KRA chief
Kenya to host green hydrogen symposium as country positions for the global stage
Kingdom Bank deepens MSME push with Industrial Area branch
Court declines to lift orders blocking Safaricom sale as Vodafone loses bid to exit case
Kenya blockchain industry urges faster stablecoin adoption amid new digital asset rules
Activist files petition to block fuel price hike, seeks conservatory orders
Government launches construction of 114 solar mini grids in 14 counties
Kenya's cybersecurity skills gap persists despite training efforts
Ruto's budget limbo deepens as IMF digs in on bailout conditions
"Nassir should borrow a leaf from Nairobi that has employed the youth to unclog its drainage system. Instead of sitting and complaining, he should buy food for his people because he has money," he said.
But Nassir has been distributing food to families affected by floods since last week.
Gachagua said some counties have bought food to supplement efforts by the national government to feed families affected by floods.
"Let Nassir buy food and we will give him military helicopters. Other countries like Wajir, Mandera, and Garisa have done so. This is not the problem for the national government alone," he said.
Yesterday, the deputy president distributed relief food to more than 500 families in Barawa village, Kisauni constituency.
Gachagua called on counties to clear waterways and drainage systems while enhancing financial, technical, and logistical support.
Last week, floods at the Coast claimed 12 lives, causing destruction of property of an unknown value. Thousands of families were displaced in Mombasa, Kilifi, Kwale, Tana River, Taita Taveta, and Lamu counties.
Government officials reported several missing individuals, with over 20,000 people displaced. Last week, Coast Regional Coordinator Rodah Onyancha said that the most affected counties are Tana River and Mombasa.
In Tana River, more than 5,000 families were displaced after River Tana burst its banks, leading hundreds of residents to relocate to Gamba.
Ms Onyancha reported that heavy rains and floods have impacted 3,892 families in Mombasa, with at least 300 families lacking shelter as their houses were either submerged or swept away by the floods.