Kenya stands to lose Sh25b due to diplomatic row
News
By
Anthony Gitonga
| Apr 07, 2021
The country stands to lose more than Sh25 billion in flower exports with the ongoing diplomatic row between Kenya and the UK.
With UK being Kenya's second-largest importer of flowers, anxiety has gripped the sector.
The Kenya Flower Council has warned of a major disruption coming when the sector that was hard hit by the Covid-19 pandemic was beginning to recover.
Last week the UK government placed Kenya among the "red list" following an upsurge in cases of Covid-19 and banned passenger flights into the country from April 9.
In response, Kenya introduced strict rules for passengers arriving from the UK. Under the rules, passengers will be subjected to two Covid-19 tests and they will be placed in quarantine for 14 days at their cost.
READ MORE
Families feel the pinch as war-hit diaspora remittances shrink
Legal battle brews over new tea levy, directorship
For Africa to move forward, Africans must be allowed to cross borders
Global housing crisis deepens despite policy gains - UN warns
Mbadi names Adan Mohamed as new KRA chief
Kenya to host green hydrogen symposium as country positions for the global stage
Kingdom Bank deepens MSME push with Industrial Area branch
Court declines to lift orders blocking Safaricom sale as Vodafone loses bid to exit case
Kenya blockchain industry urges faster stablecoin adoption amid new digital asset rules
Activist files petition to block fuel price hike, seeks conservatory orders
And as the row continues to generate more heat, the flower council has warned of massive losses.
Council CEO Clement Tulezi admitted that farmers were worried by the spat that could have negative effects on the country’s imports.
“The country earned Sh25 billion from flower imports to the UK last year and once these directives come into force there is fear that we shall lose all that due to the disruption,” he said.
Naivasha-based Jack Kneppers from Maridadi Flower Farm said he was keenly following the diplomatic row.
He was however quick to add that all their produce was destined for the Dutch auction that is not affected by the latest directives.