Gang violence takes toll on Haiti health facilities
America
By
Xinhua
| Apr 04, 2024
Health facilities in Port-au-Prince metropolitan areas continue to be impacted by the ongoing violence, further restricting access to life-saving care for people in and around the Haitian capital, said UN humanitarians on Wednesday.
The Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) reports that armed groups last week looted two healthcare facilities Delmas 18 Hospital and the Saint Martin Health Center.
While La Paix University Hospital remains open and the World Health Organization continues to support it by providing medicine, medical supplies and fuel, La Paix faces significant strain amid increased workloads for staff following the closing of Port-au-Prince State Hospital, said the office.
OCHA also reports the looting last week of 10 pharmacies in the capital, making it even more difficult for people to get their medication.
Despite the difficulties, UN response efforts continued. The World Food Programme on Tuesday distributed hot meals to more than 27,000 people in Port-au-Prince, said OCHA.
READ MORE
Families feel the pinch as war-hit diaspora remittances shrink
Mbadi names Adan Mohamed as new KRA chief
Kenya to host green hydrogen symposium as country positions for the global stage
Kingdom Bank deepens MSME push with Industrial Area branch
Court declines to lift orders blocking Safaricom sale as Vodafone loses bid to exit case
Kenya blockchain industry urges faster stablecoin adoption amid new digital asset rules
Activist files petition to block fuel price hike, seeks conservatory orders
Government launches construction of 114 solar mini grids in 14 counties
Kenya's cybersecurity skills gap persists despite training efforts
Ruto's budget limbo deepens as IMF digs in on bailout conditions
Last week, the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF), the Pan American Health Organization and local partners carried out nearly 600 medical consultations in displacement sites through their mobile clinics. UNICEF, the International Organization for Migration, and partners distributed nearly 300,000 liters of drinking water from March 23 through April 1. Partners have also delivered hygiene kits in displacement sites, said OCHA.
By March 31, more than 362,000 people were displaced in Haiti, and 160,000 of them were in the Port-au-Prince metropolitan area, according to OCHA figures.