×
App Icon
The Standard e-Paper
Home To Bold Columnists
★★★★ - on Play Store
Download App

Mozambique opposition leader claims assassination bid in South Africa

A protester gestures while protesting in the Hulene neighbourhood of Maputo on October 31, 2024, during the first day of the nationwide strike called by Mozambique's opposition leader Venancio Mondlane. [AFP]

Mozambique's leading opposition politician, Venancio Mondlane, claimed in a video Monday to have escaped an attempted assassination in South Africa where he had taken refuge after last month's disputed elections.

Mondlane rejects the results of the October 9 vote that the electoral authority says were won by the candidate of the Frelimo party, in power of the impoverished and war-scarred nation since 1975, and says he won.

Premium Article

Get Full Access for Ksh299/Week.

Fact-first reporting that puts you at the heart of the newsroom. Subscribe for full access.
Continue Reading  →
What you get
  • Unlimited access to all premium content
  • Ad-free browsing experience
  • Mobile-optimised reading
  • Weekly newsletters & digests
Pay via
M - PESA
VISA
Airtel Money
Secure Payments Kenya's most trusted newsroom since 1902