× Digital News Videos Opinions Health & Science Cartoons Education U-Report E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian SDE Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
A Nakuru man has been found guilty of murdering a woman, after she rejected his advances to marry her.

Justice Janet Mulwa ruled that Denis Kipkoech decapitated Rose Awori on December 6, 2016 at Ingobor, Kapkures location within Nakuru County. 

The judgement was delivered through video link application Zoom. 

Ms Mulwa said that although no witnesses saw the accused chopping deceased’s head, three witnesses placed him at the scene of crime.

SEE ALSO: Meru suspected kidnappers arrested

“There is sufficient circumstantial evidence that links the offence to the accused,” said Mulwa.

She said that the prosecution evidence in its totality formed a very strong chain linking the accused to the murder of the deceased.

“The murder weapon, a machete, was found beside the body of the deceased inside the accused person’s house. The accused was also found in the house, with his hands soaked in blood,” she said.

Mulwa added that not only did the accused fail to explain how deceased’s body got into his house, but no evidence was tendered to show that any other person apart from the accused visited the house.

“In my considered opinion, the burden of proof has been sufficiently discharged. I find the accused guilty of the offence of murder and he is accordingly convicted,” she ruled.

SEE ALSO: New team to probe minors' mysterious killings

Kipkoech was arraigned on February 6, 2017 and denied the murder charge. Prosecution called six witnesses.

Hillary Mutua testified that he knew the accused because he used to work at his uncle’s farm.

Mutua testified that on the fateful day, the accused called him to his house and informed him that he had murdered Awori because she rejected his advances to marry her.

“I found the accused seated at the cattle yard. He was drunk and his hands were soaked in blood. He led me into his house where I found the deceased lying on the floor with her head decapitated,” testified Mutua.

He added that he ran away from the house and called neigbours who gathered, and the accused was arrested at the scene.

SEE ALSO: Three men get 30 years each for murder

Nixon Kipsang, a neigbour testified that he ran to accused house after he heard Mutua’s call. He said that he asked accused what the problem was, and the accused replied that he had killed the lady.

“I opened the door and saw deceased body with the head cut off with blood all over,” said Kipsang.

Dr Titus Ngulungu, a pathologist, testified that complete decapitation of deceased’s head around the neck by sharp object, severing all neck veins and nerves, caused her death.

In his unsworn statement defence, the accused denied neither killing nor having any relationship with the deceased.

He said that between 5.30pm and 6pm, the time of the alleged incident, the deceased went to his house to collect vegetables and milk.

SEE ALSO: Three men to serve 30 years in jail for murder

“I went to get the milk but when I came back, I found her lying on my floor. I didn’t kill her.”

Ms Mulwa dismissed the defence as an afterthought. She said that the accused didn’t challenge prosecution witnesses’ evidence at all.

Murder Crime Denis Kipkoech
Share this story

Read More