BY FELIX OLICK
The Hague, Netherlands: The International Criminal Court (ICC) will be sitting extended hours in the case against Deputy President William Ruto to make up for the time lost.
This even as defence lawyers proposed that the court should consider sitting over the weekend to expedite the trial process.
In a short statement before the proceedings went into trial session, Presiding Judge Chile Eboe-Osuji said that they would sitting extended hours for the whole week.
“As we all know, we have lost sometime in the trial due to events beyond our control. We are making up effort to make up for the lost time,” said the Judge.
READ MORE
Ruto accused of misallocating resources after surpassing full year budget in seven months
Ex-Philippine leader Duterte faces pre-trial ICC hearing
Big win for Ruto as court clears path for sale of key State firms
Kindiki: Stalled roads to resume as Sh177bn in contractor bills cleared
Part of the Chambers strategy to make up for lost time Osuji said, is the cancellation of the break between October 4-14.
The proceedings are currently underway with the first prosecution witness continuing her testimony in a private session.
It’s expected that Legal Representative of Victims Wilfred Nderitu would be the first to cross examine the witness who had earlier given a chilling account of the Kiamba church killings.
After Nderitu, the witness would be cross-examined by Ruto’s lead lawyer Karim Khan and then Sang’s counsel Katwa Kigen.