FKF launches investigation into Patrick Matasi alleged match-fixing video

Football
By Robert Abong'o | Mar 27, 2025

Kenya international goalkeeper Patrick Matasi training at Kasarani Annex. [Jonah Onyango, Standard]

Football Kenya Federation has launched an official investigation into match fixing allegations against Kenyan international Patrick Matasi.

A video circulating on social media on Thursday shows what appears to be the goalkeeper negotiating with an unknown party about the outcome of a football match.

FKF, through a statement, promised to protect the player and club's rights during the investigation process.

"FKF upholds the integrity of football and has launched an official investigation in collaboration with Fifa, CAF, and other relevant authorities. We reaffirm our zero-tolerance policy on match manipulation and are committed to safeguarding the credibility of our competitions," FKF said in a statement.

Kenyan men's national football team goalkeeper Patrick Matasi has been dragged into serious allegations of match-fixing after a secretly recorded video was leaked allegedly showing him negotiating a deal to manipulate the outcome of a Kenyan Premier League (KPL) match.

Matasi,... pic.twitter.com/aX7eVqL58r - Cyprian, Is Nyakundi (@C_NyaKundiH) March 26, 2025

Matasi, 37, has been a regular for national team Harambee Stars since his debut in 2017 and has made over 30 appearances.

He first played for Harambee Stars on March 23, 2017 against the Uganda Cranes in an international friendly in Machakos. He last played for Harambee Stars in the loss to Cameroon.

On several occasions while on club and international duty, he has been subject to criticism following incidents and errors that led to the opposition team scoring.

His latest string of errors for the national team was in October last year during the 4-1 defeat to Cameroon in the Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) Qualifiers at the Japoma Stadium in Douala. A section of fans felt Matasi was at fault for two goals conceded against the Indomitable Lions in what was his last national team assignment.

Despite the uproar online, the details of the video, including when it was recorded, the identity of the person speaking, and even whether it has been manipulated, are still unclear.

FKF have also asked people who might have sound evidence about the investigation to help with the case.

"We encourage anyone with credible information to assist in this investigation. All reports will be handled with strict confidentiality," added the federation.

Matasi recently joined FKF Premier League side Kakamega Homeboyz from Kenya Police.

When contacted, Kakamega Homeboyz chairman Cleophas Shimanyula leapt to the defence of Matasi insisting that the goalkeeper is innocent until proven guilty.

"I cannot trust the videos circulating on social media because they can be generated by his enemies to damage his reputation. Until we get concrete evidence, we will treat all those reports as allegations. To show solidarity with him, the coach can field him over the weekend if he wants," Shimanyula told Standard Sports.

"I have just seen a statement from FKF regarding the issue, but unfortunately as we speak there is no law that criminalises match fixing in this country. They will have to refer the matter to Fifa for investigation."

Harambee Stars captain Michael Olunga expressed his shock on X, quoting the video shared online. "Damn, TF!" Olunga posted.

Standard could not reach Matasi for a comment at the time when this article was published.

Share this story
DR Congo cancel World Cup training in Kinshasa amid Ebola outbreak
The Democratic Republic of Congo team have cancelled a planned pre-World Cup training camp at home after the country was hit by an Ebola outbreak
For Arsenal, the time is right and the Lord has made it happen
When Patrick Paul Vieira lifted Arsenal’s English Premier League trophy in 2004, petrol in Kenya was retailing at Sh64.99, Diesel was Sh51.60, while kerosene went for Sh38.19.
Julius Yego's exit beckons after his last African show in Ghana
The 37-year-old javelin star is set for his last World Championships and Olympics next year and 2028 respectively.
It's fresh faces and familiar rivals as Stars prepare for 2027 Afcon
Coach McCarthy has named five new faces in Harambee Stars squad.Kenya to face South Africa, Guinea and Eritrea in 2027 Afcon qualifiers.,
SportPesa Premier League: APS Bomet edge Bandari to ease relegation fears
The win eased off relegation fears APS Bomet have been battling for the better part of their debut season in the Premier League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS