Trump declines to be interviewed for '60 Minutes' election special

America
By VOA | Oct 02, 2024

Former President Donald Trump. [AFP]

CBS News said Tuesday that Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump has declined to participate in an interview with "60 Minutes" for its election special, which will go forward next Monday with Democratic opponent Kamala Harris alone.

Television's top-rated news program regularly invites the two presidential contenders for separate interviews that air back-to-back on a show near the election. This year, it is scheduled for Monday instead of its usual Sunday time slot.

Asked for comment, the former president's campaign spokesperson Steven Cheung said, "Fake news," adding that there were discussions, but nothing was ever locked in.

"60 Minutes" said Trump's campaign had initially agreed to an interview before telling CBS that the former president would not appear. The network said its invitation to sit for an interview still stands, and correspondent Scott Pelley will explain Trump's absence to viewers.

Vice President Harris will appear in a pretaped interview with Bill Whitaker.

There are currently no other scheduled opportunities for voters to compare the two candidates together. Harris and Trump previously debated on Sept. 10. Although Harris has accepted an invitation from CNN for a second debate later this month, Trump has not accepted.

The interview special is scheduled to air Monday instead of the usual "60 Minutes" time slot because CBS is showing the American Music Awards on Sunday.

Trump's interview with "60 Minutes" correspondent Lesley Stahl before the 2020 election proved contentious, with the former president ending the session early and his campaign posting an unedited transcript of the session.

CBS News was hosting Tuesday's vice presidential debate between Republican Ohio Sen. JD Vance and Tim Walz, Minnesota's Democratic governor.

Share this story
Kenya Lionesses to renew rivalry with Uganda Lady Cranes
The Kenya Lionesses will begin their 2026 Rugby Africa Women’s Cup Performance Division campaign with a tough regional derby against Uganda Lady Cranes on Saturday 
Shujaa hand Mola maiden call-up for World SVNS legs
Kenya Sevens coach Kelvin Wambua on Friday named the squad that will represent the country in the upcoming World SVNS Championship legs in Valladolid and Bordeaux
Allan Thigo was not only a good player but a great leader
Thigo, who hailed from Kano plains in Kisumu had moved and set up home in Bungoma where he was enjoying his retirement, occasionally coming out to grace football events.
Maguire, Palmer and Foden left out of England World Cup squad
Cole Palmer and Phil Foden were among several high-profile players left out of Thomas Tuchel's World Cup squad announced on Friday.
Pep Guardiola: Catalan genius who changed football
Pep Guardiola leaves Manchester City with an unparalleled managerial legacy, having reshaped English football over a decade of relentless success.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS