Your are here  » Home   » Western

Crisis as hospitals in Bungoma, Busia now overstretched

By By Francis Ontomwa Updated Saturday, May 18th 2013 at 00:00 GMT +3
Share this story:
Comments

By Francis Ontomwa

The recent terror attacks in Bungoma and Busia counties have exposed serious pitfalls at the country’s public health centres.

Facilities at Bungoma and Busia District hospitals got outstretched following pressure on beds and staff attending to the victims of the crime wave. 

Bungoma hospital records indicated that over 150 patients were admitted and others later discharged from the time the attacks started.

The outpatient records read that more than100 and this included patients who came with minor injuries, quickly attended to and discharged.

A hospital officer in charge of administration and who talked on condition of anonymity insisted that the hospital was overwhelmed by the situation, saying they had little choice but contend with the affairs.

“Our hospital has always been under-staffed and now that more and more patients were being admitted from the recent criminal activities, pressure was high,” stated the officer.

Three weeks ago, the hospital admitted over 48 victims enlisted as inpatients from the crime that hit Kikwechi area, and other patients had to be removed from beds to pave way for the victims of the atrocious activities.

“We had to literally remove some of those who had started recovering to verandas to allow those who were in serious conditions to get priority,” said the officer.

Nancy Amalemba, a patient told The Standard on Saturday, that she witnessed shocking scenes and resorted to get medication from a private facility. St Damiano, a private institution in Bungoma town is another facility that has been receiving victims of the recent atrocities and it is here where the wife of a slain businessman and her daughter were admitted. At Busia Hospital, tens of those who were attacked in Akubwait, Bengo and Segero villages were admitted and although some of them were discharged, a good number is  still recuperating here.

No arrest

“The attacks really took a toll on us, we do not have enough facilities and at the same time we are few, the Government should really move in to address anomalies of this kind to enable us save as many lives as possible,” said a nurse.

GO TO PAGE 1 2 Next »
Do you have something to add to this story? Comment here.
Share this story:
Comments
Western
Comment Policy
Quins and Impala register wins in the ongoing Kenya Cup Tournament
Quins and Impala register wins in the ongoing Kenya Cup Tournament
The Huruma building collapse has been attributed to weak structures and bad weather
The Huruma building collapse has been attributed to weak structures and bad weather
President Uhuru leads the country in burning Ivory as a sign towards the fight against poaching
President Uhuru leads the country in burning Ivory as a sign towards the fight against poaching
What exactly brought down the wall of Death  along Ring Road in Nairobi
What exactly brought down the wall of Death along Ring Road in Nairobi
Huruma Tragedy: 12 confirmed Dead and 69 still unaccounted for and feared might be in the rubble
Huruma Tragedy: 12 confirmed Dead and 69 still unaccounted for and feared might be in the rubble
Survivor's Account of the tragic Ordeal that has ended the lives of 12 people so far
Survivor's Account of the tragic Ordeal that has ended the lives of 12 people so far

FOLLOW US TODAY