By Job Weru
Deputy President-elect William Ruto’s wife, Rachael, has vowed to press the Jubilee Government to deliver the pledges it made to women.Rachael, who is on a three-day tour of Nyeri, also urged women to embrace chicken farming as a commercial enterprise, saying it will help raise their commercial base.
Speaking when she led about 100 women members of Joyful Women Organisation, from Uasin Gishu, Nandi, Kakamega and Trans Nzoia counties to a tour of Brade Gate Poultry Industries in Kiganjo, Nyeri County, she noted nearly every Kenyan woman rears chicken on a subsistence basis. “But the venture can be expanded to commercial levels since any business can be good business,” she said. She said although chicken rearing is a common household practice the same could be turned into commercial benefits.
She noted most rural women face acute financial constraints. She said the Jubilee Government was committed to raising their economic welfare, through interest-free loans. “Most rural women do not acquire loans, since they do not have collaterals. I and incoming First Lady Margaret Kenyatta will do our best to ensure the Government delivers its pledge to grant women interest free-loans,” she said.
Next Story »
- Indian woman miscarries 10 babies in one night
- Police kill three suspected thugs in Nairobi
- Evictees deny Ruto claims on land
- End prejudices against us, sex workers now demand
- Tenants sweat under landlords’ inflated electricity charges
- Transgender murderer is moved from women's jail 'because he kept having sex with other inmates'