By Esther Muchene
Regardless of whether or not you have a bank account that can make Oprah envious, most people wouldn’t mind saving a little money here and there in the course of planning the wedding. With costs hitting the roof and your budget exceeding its limit due to arising needs, it’s important to know when to stop and even better, how to save. For those working with a small budget, this will ensure your expenses stay put if not scaled down a little.
• Use easily and already available resources. For example, if you have a friend who has a big house with a beautiful garden, request if you could use it as a wedding venue or even better, ask if they can give it to you for free as a wedding gift. Use it for your ceremony, reception or photo session rather than going for an expensive hotel that is the wish of every bride.
• Improvise and work around what you have. If you’ve booked a large venue, consider using it for the vows exchanging ceremony and the reception. And if it won’t be too much, use the same venue for the photo session as well. Have two separate setups done and offer your guests some cocktail while they make the transition to the reception as your décor vendors get everything in place.
• Hire the services of a wedding planner. Contrary to what people think, planners are not necessarily expensive. Professional planners are able to get you the best services at the best rate and since they give vendors repetitive business, they are in a place to negotiate prices thus saving you money.
• Attend bridal events like expos and conventions. To attract brides, these expos encourage vendors to give discounts and giveaways that brides can take advantage of. If you’re keen enough, you can get good deals for all the services you require.
• Go through local wedding magazines and look for vendor classifieds that are offering discounts. Most of them offer ten to 25 per cent off services booked within a stipulated time.
• Enter competitions and you may be the lucky couple who win a fully paid wedding or honeymoon.
• Look for new upcoming service providers. Due to the fact that they are still new, they’re more likely to charge less than their competitors to attract customers.
• Lastly, you can settle for a vendor who offers everything under one roof, but choose wisely because some compromise on quality. The décor may be superb, but the food is a letdown.